Whether you’re a first-year celebrating your first Finals Week at Drew, a sophomore here for your first in-person Finals Week or preparing to dive back into the season again, here are some tips and tricks to help you get through some of the most stressful days of the semester.
- Take advantage of the de-stress events on campus. Preparing for finals week doesn’t mean you have to hunker down in your dorm 24/7. Drew Night Life has organized a series of stress-relief events, including Midnight Breakfast next Friday, Dec. 10. These finals-inspired events are a great opportunity to get that free food and spend time with friends.Plus, taking a healthy amount of breaks is a necessary part of academic success.
- Prioritize your work. Study for the class that stresses you out the most first, this way you have more time to review the material daily.Even though the task can feel daunting and procrastination is tempting, you’ll feel more comfortable with the course content if you visit it regularly.
- Maintain healthy practices. Sleep enough, eat enough and shower enough. We can’t shut off our need for basic self care just because it’s finals week. Schedule a bedtime; set alarms to make sure you eat enough meals in a day. Do your future self a favor and make sure you value your health alongside your courses.
- Connect with the community. It’s important to remember that you are not alone and creating study groups and reaching out to your professors can be a useful learning tool. As long as everyone is doing their own work, study groups are a great way to unite with your classmates and get through the end of the semester. You can support each other and develop new study methods. Also, make sure to take advantage of office hours and email professors for any assistance you may need.
- Make an appointment at the Center for Academic Excellence, and make it early. The subject tutors, writing specialists and peer academic coaches will be available on a by appointment only basis, meaning you must book them at least 24 hours in advance. The tutors are happy to support you with exam prep, final papers and project practice. This service is included in your tuition, and the center is open from Sunday to Friday so it can be super helpful. Make an appointment at drew.mywconline.com.
Finals can be a stressful time of year, but taking steps to make sure they go as smoothly as possible can go a long way to help you get through the next few weeks.