Forest Findings: Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom

1 min read

by Colleen Dabrowski

Omphalotus illudens, also known as the Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom, is a common mushroom found east of the Rocky Mountains that grows in late summer to fall. The Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom is easy to identify, as it has a bright orange color and grows in large clusters. The mushrooms are saprobic, meaning they decompose dead wood and matter in the soil. The cap of the Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom can be anywhere from 2 to 20-centimeters across and is a cup-like shape with a small bump at the center. The mushroom’s gills run down the entirety of the stem, which can be anywhere from 3 to 13 centimeters long. Perhaps the most remarkable quality of the Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom is that is bioluminescent Due to an enzyme called luciferase acting upon a compound called luciferin, the mushroom’s gills produce a blue-green glow in dim lighting. Dangerously, the Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom is poisonous to humans, however it is is easily confused with the Chanterelle Mushroom, which is commonly consumed. The Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom contains a toxin called muscarine, which, if consumed, results in symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. While consumption is not deadly, it may require hospitalization.

The Jack-o’-Lantern Mushroom pictured above can be found in front of the Hall of Sciences, though unfortunately, it is no longer alive.

Leave a Reply

Previous Story

Parsons Green Tube Bombing

Next Story

Montreal Protocol has 30 year anniversary

Latest from Blog

Coronado National Forest

By Maimouna Kante Coronado National Forest is located in southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico and…

%d bloggers like this: